Mission

“Change the Patterns, Break the Cycle” of those things not beneficial for ourselves, and fill ourselves with body, heart and soul nutrients that are healthier and more fulfilling for our total well-being.

Tasty Tuesday's

Tasty Tuesday's

Monday, March 30, 2015

Suggestions for Stress Management (De-Stressing)

There are times throughout our day we may become agitated, anxious or stressed, especially if we are in a medium to high pressured job. Keeping our center and not letting circumstances or situations get to us is key to part of our total well-being. Learning to center ourselves and get the job done, but not give in to the pressures or over react.

Since I am at a computer with 2 monitors approximately 7 to 8 hours of my work day, along with the other aspects of my position, I need to make time and take steps to stretch my body out, de-stress and replenish and refuel several times a day. Short bursts of activity, stretching and relaxation techniques that refuel my physical and emotional well-being.

Sitting at desk for 8 to 10 hours a day can put quite bit of strain on the neck and back muscles making them achy and tight. I usually do 3 to 7 minute activity bursts throughout the day. When it's nice enough out to walk without shivering or freezing, (the winter on the east coast has been very, very cold and snow-filled, and spring is taking it's time to get here) I take a walk around the outside of the office building. It usually takes about 3 to 4 minutes, but it helps to clear and re-focus my mind for the work before me. If outdoors isn't an option, I walk around the part of the building our office is located in ... What I have found that works so much better for me is, after searching online for 3 to 5 minute office/desk stretches on you tube and finding several, I choose and do one to 3 of activity bursts each day.

Before or after eating my lunch, (depending on the type of day) I do my best to work in a 3 to 5 minute relaxation/meditation exercise. I love the ocean. From before I was one to my 30's, we spent from Memorial day, or the day after school got out, till the day before school sessions once again began in September "Down the shore". Our family owned a motel and bungalows down the shore, and the ocean and shore has always felt like coming home to me. The sounds of the surf and the seagulls, the smell of the salt air, the warmth of the sun ... it has always filled me and calmed me, so I have several you tubes and CD's of the sounds of the surf, some with seagulls in the background, some with music to the sound of the surf, and some with just the sound of the ocean waves crashing gently upon the shore. I choose one and I push the chair away from the desk, place my hands on my knees and begin deep breathing inhaling and exhaling along with sounds, and gently relax each part of my body, beginning at the top of my head and ending at the tips of my toes. Inhaling and exhaling relaxing more and more with each breath.

This is the you tube I used earlier today ... try it, sit back in your chair, place your hands on your knees and begin Inhaling and exhaling gently, relaxing each part of your muscles and body with each breath while listening to the sounds of the surf ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAGLE1X_drc

Enjoy your journey ...

What are some other ways you de-stress. re-focus and refuel throughout your day?

No comments :

Post a Comment